Loperamide (By mouth)
Treats diarrhea and decreases the amount of drainage in patients who have ostomies.
Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Anti-Diarrheal, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Loperamide Hydrochloride, Good Sense Anti-Diarrheal, GoodSense Loperamide Hydrochloride, Health Mart Anti-Diarrheal, Health Mart Loperamide HCl, Imodium A-D, Kaodene A-D, Leader Anti-Diarrheal, QC Anti-Diarrheal, Quality Choice Anti-Diarrheal, Rite Aid Anti-Diarrheal, Rite Aid Anti-Diarrheal Loperamide HydrochlorideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to loperamide or if you have severe colitis, diarrhea caused by antibiotics, or dysentery. Do not give to children under 2 years of age.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to take and how often.
- Drink plenty of water while using this medicine.
- May be taken on an empty or full stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next regular dose, wait until then to use your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Do not give loperamide to children or an elderly person unless your doctor tells you to.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using any antibiotic drug.
- Loperamide solution (liquid) contains alcohol.
- If you are still having diarrhea after using this medicine for 2 days, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Constipation with nausea and vomiting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stomach pain, cramps
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Changes in vision, such as trouble focusing
- Drowsiness or dizziness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.