Flurbiprofen (By mouth)
Treats pain and arthritis. This medicine is an NSAID.
AnsaidThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction (including asthma) to flurbiprofen, aspirin, or similar medicines. Do not use it if you have had heart surgery, including coronary artery bypass graft.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not break, crush, divide, or chew it.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Aspirin, cyclosporine, diflunisal, digoxin, lithium, methotrexate, pemetrexed, or salsalate
- Blood pressure medicine
- Blood thinner (including warfarin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Medicine to treat depression
- Steroid medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not use this medicine during the later part of pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you have kidney disease, liver disease, asthma, bleeding problems, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, or other heart problems, or a history of ulcers or other digestive problems. Tell your doctor if you smoke or drink alcohol.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- High risk of heart attack, stroke, or heart failure
- Bleeding and ulcers in your stomach or intestines
- Liver damage
- High blood pressure
- Kidney damage
- Serious skin reactions
- Changes in vision
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, coughing up blood, numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate, rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Fast, slow, or pounding heartbeat
- Severe stomach pain, vomiting blood, bloody, black or tarry stools
- Sudden or severe headache, or problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.