Hydrocortisone (On the skin)
Treats skin irritation, allergic reactions, and other types of skin problems. This medicine is a corticosteroid.
Ala-Cort, Ala-Scalp HP, Aqua Glycolic HC Scalp & Body, Aquanil Hc, Aveeno 1% Hydrocortisone Anti-Itch Cream, Corta-Cap, Cortaid Maximum Strength, Corticool Maximum Strength, Dermasorb HC Complete Kit, Dermtex-HC, First-Hydrocortisone, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Hydrocortisone, Good Sense Anti-Itch, Home Pap Kit, HydroSKINThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to hydrocortisone.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Kit, Ointment, Lotion, Spray, Foam, Gel/Jelly, Stick, Liquid
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- This medicine is for use on skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Do not inhale this medicine or use it near heat or an open flame. Do not puncture, break, or burn the aerosol can.
- .Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Lotion, cream, ointment, gel, or liquid:Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Spray:Shake the aerosol can just before using. Hold the can 3 to 6 inches from the skin and spray for about 2 seconds. To apply to your face, spray into the palm of your hand and rub in gently.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor. Do not cover the treated skin with tight-fitting diapers or plastic pants if you are using this medicine on a child's diaper area.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may cause adrenal gland problems. It may also cause you to get infections more easily, so tell your doctor if you have any type of infection.
- This medicine may delay growth in children. If you think your child is not growing properly while using this medicine, talk with your doctor.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dark freckles, skin color changes, coldness, weakness, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, weight loss
- Rapid weight gain around your neck, upper back, breast, face, or waist
- Redness, swelling, or pus
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, itching, irritation, dryness
- Poor healing of skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.