Levocarnitine (By mouth)
Treats carnitine deficiency.
Acticarnitine SF, Carnitor, Carnitor SF, Sundown Naturals L-CarnitineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule, Liquid, Powder, Tablet, Wafer
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Capsule, gel capsule, or tablet: Swallow whole. Do not crush, chew, or break it.
- Chewable wafer: Chew the wafer before you swallow it.
- Oral liquid: Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. The medicine may be taken alone or dissolved in water, juice, or other liquids. Drink the medicine slowly.
- Powder: Mix with at least 4 ounces of juice or water. Drink the mixture slowly.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how levocarnitine works. Tell your doctor if you are also taking warfarin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or a history of seizures.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps
- Unusual body odor
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.