Fluorescein (By injection)
Helps certain parts of the eye become more visible during tests.
AK-Fluor, Angioscein, FluoresciteThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to fluorescein.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have a history of asthma or allergies. Tell your doctor if you had an allergic reaction to any medicine or dye.
- Do not breastfeed for at least 4 days after you receive this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, seizure
- Pain, redness, swelling, or peeling skin at the injection site
- Pain or loss of feeling in the arm where the needle was place
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bright yellow urine
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain or upset
- Yellow skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.