Aminophylline (By injection)
Treats asthma and other lung diseases.
Aminophylline NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to aminophylline, theophylline, or ethylenediamine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Many medicines can affect how aminophylline works. Tell your doctor about all medicines you are taking, especially carbamazepine, cimetidine, erythromycin, rifampin, or tacrine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart rhythm problems, heart failure, lung, liver, or kidney disease, a stomach ulcer, or an underactive thyroid. Tell your doctor if you have a history of seizures or smoking.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Blood in your vomit
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea, or vomiting
- Fast or uneven heartbeat
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Rapid breathing or trouble breathing
- Seizures or tremors
- Severe nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or trouble sleeping
- Muscle pain, or unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.