Carbamide peroxide (Into the ear)
Carbamide Peroxide (KAR-ba-mide per-OX-ide)
Used to soften, loosen, and remove excess wax from your ears.
Audiologist's Choice, Debrox, E-R-O Ear Drops, Ear Drops, Ear Wax Drops, Earwax Treatment, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Ear Drops, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Ear System, Good Sense Ear Wax Removal, Good Sense Ear Wax Removal Kit, Mack's ProRinse Earwax Removal Kit, Mack's Wax Away Earwax Removal Aid, Mack's Wax Away Earwax Removal System, Mollifene, Murine EarThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to carbamide peroxide. You should not use this medicine if you have a punctured eardrum, or discharge from your ear. You should not use this medicine if you have had an ear surgery, or if you have pain, irritation, or rash in your ear.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Remove your hearing aid while using this medicine.
- Use this medicine only in your ear.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- You may warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Remove the cap. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch anything, including your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- You may hear a bubbling noise in your ear after placing the drop in it. This is normal and is not something to worry about.
- Do not rinse the dropper.
- After using this medicine 4 days, gently flush your ear with warm water, using a soft bulb syringe to remove the wax.
If a dose is missed:
- You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- You should not use other ear medicines while using this medicine, unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Avoid getting this medicine in your eyes. If the medicine does get in your eyes, flush them with water and call your doctor right away.
- This medicine should not be given to children under 12 years of age without a doctor's approval.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Do not use this medicine for longer than 4 days.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.