Bisacodyl (By mouth)
Alophen, C-Lax, Correctol, Dulcolax, Dulcolax Bowel Cleansing Kit, Dulcolax Bowel Prep Kit, Fleet Bisacodyl, Gentle Laxative, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Laxative, Good Sense Bisacodyl Laxative, Good Sense Women's Laxative, LoSo Prep, Medi-Lax, PCP 100, Poly-PrepThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to bisacodyl.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Coated Tablet
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not chew or crush it.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine within 1 hour after drinking milk or taking an antacid.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Before using this medicine, make sure your doctor knows if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or a sudden change in bowel habits.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you cannot swallow the tablet without chewing.
- Tell your doctor if your constipation does not improve after using this medicine for 1 week.
- You should not give this medicine to a child under 6 years of age unless a doctor tells you to.
- You may not see results for several hours after you have taken this medicine.
- Stop using this medicine and call your doctor right away if you do not have a bowel movement in 12 hours, or if you have rectal bleeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild stomach cramps or discomfort.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.