Anesthetics (Into the ear)
Relieves pain and itching in the outer ear. Treats some ear infections. Used to remove ear wax.
Auro Earache Relief, Children's Earache Relief, Cortane-B, Cortane-B Aqueous, Exotic-HC, Gentle Naturals Earache Drops, Otomax HC, Zinotic, Zinotic ESThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to antipyrine, benzocaine, chloroxylenol, glycerin, or pramoxine. You should not use this medicine if you have a hole, tear, or tubes in your eardrum.
How to Use This Medicine:
Solution, Suspension, Drop
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Use this medicine only in your ear. Do not swallow the medicine, and do not put it in your eyes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Your doctor may advise you to clean out and dry your outer ear canal with a special sterile cotton applicator before using the ear drops.
- You may warm the drops by holding the unopened bottle in your hands for a few minutes.
- Remove the cap. Do not let the tip of the dropper touch anything, including your ear.
- Lie down or tilt your head to the side. For a child, gently pull the child's earlobe down and back to straighten the child's ear canal. For an adult, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal.
- Drop the prescribed number of drops into the ear. Keep the ear tilted up for a few minutes or put a cotton ball into your ear.
- You may be able to use a special gauze ear plug or cotton wick soaked with the medicine in your ear instead of putting the drops directly into your ear. If you need to use a gauze ear plug or wick, your doctor or health caregiver will tell you how to use it, and how long to keep it in your ear. You may need to keep using this medicine after you take the wick or ear plug out of your ear.
- Do not rinse the dropper.
- Some ear drops should not be used for longer than 10 days. Follow your doctor's instructions about how long you should use this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Keep the bottle closed when you are not using it. Store it at room temperature, away from light and heat. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Redness or irritation of the skin in the area where you use the drops.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 4/4/2018
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.