Acetaminophen/phenyltoloxamine (By mouth)
Acetaminophen (a-seet-a-MIN-oh-fen), Phenyltoloxamine (fen-il-tol-OX-a-meen)
Treats minor pain, reduces fever, and relieves cold and flu symptoms.
Dologesic, Dolorex, Relagesic, Rhinoflex-650There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to acetaminophen or phenyltoloxamine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines and foods can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- A blood thinner, such as warfarin
- Medicine that contains acetaminophen
- Medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine. Acetaminophen can damage your liver, and alcohol can increase this risk. If you regularly drink 3 or more alcoholic drinks every day, do not take any medicines that contain acetaminophen without asking your doctor. A drink of alcohol is 12 ounces of beer, 4 ounces of wine, or 1 ounce of liquor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver or kidney disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive or use machines if you are not alert.
- This medicine contains acetaminophen. Read the labels of all other medicines you are using to see if they also contain acetaminophen, or ask your doctor or pharmacist. Do not use more than 4 grams (4,000 milligrams) total of acetaminophen in one day.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.