Vitamin combination with iron, pediatric formula (By mouth)
Supplies your child's body with vitamins and iron when your child is not getting enough vitamins and iron from the daily diet.
Animal Shapes Plus Iron, Chewable Vite w/Iron, Children's Chewable Vite with Iron, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Animal Shapes with Iron, Multi-Delyn w/Iron, Poly-Vi-Sol w/Iron, Poly-Vita Drops with Iron, Polyvitamin with Iron, Quality Choice Children's Chewable Vitamins w/Iron, Rite Aid Children's Chewable Vitamins With Iron, UpSpringbaby Iron, Vitamins w/Iron Children'sThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not give this medicine to your child if your child has ever had an allergic reaction to any single vitamin, multivitamin, or iron.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid, Chewable Tablet
- Your child's doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not give more medicine or give it more often than your child's doctor tells you to.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Use the dropper that comes with the oral liquid to measure your child's dose. You may place the dropper directly into your child's mouth with the tip against the inside of the cheek. You may also mix the medicine with milk, fruit juice, cereal, or other food.
If a dose is missed:
- It is generally not harmful to miss a dose of a multivitamin. Give it to your child as soon as you remember. Do not give two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your child's medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your child's doctor if your child is taking any other medicine that has iron.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Some forms of this medicine might have enough iron to poison a small child. Be very careful to keep this medicine out of the reach of children. If a child does swallow too much of this medicine, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Some vitamins can make the stool darker in color and turn the urine bright yellow. This is normal.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation or diarrhea.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/16/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.