Lidocaine (Into the eye)
Used in the eye to cause numbness or loss of feeling before certain procedures. This medicine is a topical anesthetic (numbing medicine).
AktenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lidocaine or to any other numbing medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given as a drop into your eye.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- After this medicine is applied to the eye, do not rub or wipe the eye until the feeling in the eye returns. To do so may cause injury or damage to the eye.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision or other changes in vision.
- Burning or irritation of your eye.
- Redness or itching of the eyelids and the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 1/27/2017
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Truven Health Analytics. All rights reserved.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.